Four things to do for impeachment:
1) Naomi will take her ironing board to Ashby and College with Carol Fridays from 5 to 6 p.m. She will take postcards and printouts from Tony. As it gets dark earlier, it will have to be earlier in the day.
2) Andy is trying to think of ways to pressure Republicans in Congress. Maybe we could send thank-yous to those who have cracked a little. WaPo has an ongoing tally at https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/politics/impeachment-support-house-democrats/. The NYT article at https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/us/politics/trump-impeachment-congress-list.html is from October 10.
3) Bruce says national Indivisible suggests signing up to make calls to people in key areas. The webpage is https://act.indivisible.org/signup/impeachment-senate-calls/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=link2_groupleaders&t=10&akid=54868%2E822731%2Exr7UGh. It will come up with Bruce’s name, but you can click on a link to put in your own name for the calls.
4) Write to Democratic holdouts. See links above.
Bill has been watching this. Virginia is quite tight, and the Republicans are really moving. The NRA is putting up big money against Nancy Guy. We have no postcard addresses left for Virginia, but we can do letters through Vote Forward. You can get started at https://votefwd.org/. These need to be mailed Tuesday, October 29. Make sure you follow the instructions and use the return address they give because they want to keep track of bad addresses.
Our next meeting is right before the Virginia election. Naomi is thinking of setting her house up for phone banking and texting that day. Watch for further information about that.
East Bay Activist Alliance is doing phone banking at the following times.
- Oct. 23, 1-4PM, Phonebank at Sports Basement Berkeley with Indivisible Berkeley
- Oct. 26, 1-4PM Phonebank at Sports Basement Berkeley with Indivisible Berkeley
- Oct. 27, 1:30-4:30PM, Phonebank in Redwood Heights/Oakland with Democracy Action East Bay and EBAA
They’ll also have special GOTV Phonebanks in Berkeley, Oakland, and Dublin/Pleasanton Nov. 2-5.
We’re still taking donations for the Virginia candidates. Five people have given a total of $400 so far for the current drive. The money goes to the three candidates in Virginia.
Everyone in California is flush with money except T. J. Cox. Valadao, the Republican who previously held the seat, has outraised Cox. He outraised Cox the last time and lost anyway, but it was very very close.
The other one we’re interested in is Ammar Campa-Najjar, who ran against Duncan Hunter in 2018 and nearly won.
Naomi thinks we need to focus on one or two California races.
The Senate is more of an issue than the House in 2020. Naomi thinks we should pick one or two races. Possibilities include Arizona, Alaska, and Iowa.
Noemi says Tony the Democrat is still doing the Kentucky statewide slate.
Janice says Grandmothers in Action is doing postcards. See http://www.grandmothersforabrighterfuture.com/
Bruce says national Indivisible is still wrestling with how to deal with a presidential primary endorsement. Their questionnaire for the candidates is about 23 pages. They did add one of Bruce’s suggested questions.
Naomi is going to get a copy of their book from Mrs. Dalloway’s. The title is “We Are Indivisible: A Blueprint for Democracy After Trump”. Bruce says they’ll be promoting it at Book Passage. You should reserve online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/leah-greenberg-and-ezra-levin-we-are-indivisible-tickets-76485725865 if you want to go to that. Remember that the more preorders they get, the likelier it’ll land on the NYT bestseller list for publicity.
The next meeting is Sunday, November 3.