We’ll gather on Dec 11th at 4:00 at the usual place instead of this weekend. Please pass the word on.
No meeting tomorrow (Sunday Nov 20th) but join us for a celebration on Sunday Nov 27th, 4:00-5:00 pm our house.
Lots to be happy about and we definitely deserve a brownie and some wine. Discussion of election results and future paths to more great victories.
We are driving to Reno on Friday at noon and returning Sunday night after dinner. We can fit two people in our car who would like to join in with the canvassing Saturday and Sunday. We have a place to stay for two, so anyone who drives with us will have to find a place to stay (Swing Left may be able to help with this). Get in touch if you want to come along.
If you can’t travel to knock on doors, Swing Left has lots of good phone banks. This election will be decided by turn-out so let’s turn them out.
We put 700 letters into the mail yesterday, written by members of our group. Not a bad showing. Now we are moving on to phone banking, door knocking and texting.
The election will be decided by which sides gets the voters out and the votes in.
Join us next weekend for some GOTV action if not before.
We can win this!
Vote Forward (votefwd.org) has chosen five vital campaigns to boost this week for the last week of letter-writing. If you want to write some letters, I am happy to print them and put them on our porch. We have lots of stamps. This will be a close election and your letter could be the one that makes the difference! Get in touch with any questions or for any supplies.
We blew past our original goal of $2,500 on to $7,000 and are on our way to $8,000. Great work everyone. Don’t stop now– send around our link to all your friends and if you need help with a Giving Circle email, let us know. On to $10,000!
From Susie Buell’s email The Up-Rising
In this new section, we will share ways to locate and support abortion access.
Find Abortion-Related Care and Support:
• See if abortion is currently accessible in your state. Center for Reproductive Rights
• Understand how to get an abortion. I Need an A
• How to have a safe self-managed abortion. Doctors Without Borders
• Get physician-supported medicated abortion care online. Abortion On Demand
• Find a Verified Abortion Provider. Abortion Finder
• Access abortion pills. Plan C
• Find an abortion doula. DOPO Co-op
• Receive emotional support during a medication abortion. Reprocare
• For answers to medical questions during an at-home miscarriage/abortion. Miscarriage and Abortion Hotline
• Obtain financial assistance. National Network of Abortion Funds
• Receive help with child care, transportation, and other logistics. Apiary Collective
• Get emergency contraception and get your birth control automated. Pandia Health
• Find answers to your legal questions. Repro Legal Helpline
• Obtain legal support if you’re a young person who needs an abortion without involving your parents. Judicial Bypass Wiki
• Digital Safety Tips: For People Seeking An Abortion. EFF
• Keep Your Abortion Private and Secure. Digital Defense Fund
Fund Abortion-Related Organizations:
• Support over 80 abortion funds nationwide. National Network of Abortion Funds
• Give to independent abortion clinics. Keep Our Clinics and Abortion Care Network
• Help abortion providers and patients by ordering needed items from their wish lists. Adopt-a-Clinic
• Contribute to Your Local Abortion Fund. National Network of Abortion Funds
• Support direct service and social change strategies to promote unconditional support for people and their decisions relating to pregnancy, parenting, abortion, and adoption. All-Options
• Fund abortion travel services. Brigid Alliance
• Cover bail and defense for people who are investigated, arrested, or prosecuted for self-managed abortion. Repro Legal Defense Fund
• Fund accurate legal and medical information to help people who choose to self-manage their abortion. SASS – Self-Managed Abortion; Safe & Supported
• Support and uplift the leadership of people who have abortions. We Testify
• Register to Vote. Vote.org
• Check your voter registration status: Rock the Vote
• Tell President Biden: Declare a public health & national emergency around abortion, & hire federal abortion providers. MoveOn
• Eliminate the undemocratic Senate filibuster. Common Cause
• Demand Congress Pass the Jones Court Expansion Bill. Indivisible
• Tell Your Senators: Pass the Women’s Health Protection Act. Democratic Coalition
• Say we should codify Roe v. Wade in California. Newsom for California
• Defeat the August 2nd Constitutional Amendment in Kansas. KCF
• Support Reproductive Liberty in Vermont. Reproductive Liberty Amendment
• Fight Michigan’s antiquated abortion ban. Reproductive Freedom For All
• Keep abortion safe and legal in Kentucky. Protect Kentucky Access
• Give to 2022 candidates in toss-up races who have been endorsed by EMILY’s List, NARAL Pro-Choice America, or Planned Parenthood Action Fund(comprehensive list here)
• States to Save Roe. Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee
• Volunteer to help build a digital abortion access support network. I Need an A
• Become a practical support volunteer. Apiary Collective
• Contribute to the F*ck Bans Action Plan: The Fight Back Fund. Vote Save America
• Know Your Protestors’ Rights. ACLU
• Become a Poll Worker. U.S. Election Assistance Commission
• Run for office. Emerge America, EMILY’s List, and Run for Something
• Get involved in your community to protect abortion access. Defend Choice
• Stop the corporate funding of abortion bans. #ReproReceipts
• Support companies that stand against policies that hinder people’s health, independence, and ability to fully succeed in the workplace. Don’t Ban Equality
• Take the Pledge to Become an Abortion Advocate. The United States of Women
• Activate, educate, and mobilize male allies into the fight. Men4Choice
• Volunteer virtually for Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood Action Fund
• Sign up to volunteer for NARAL. NARAL Pro-Choice America
• Attend an advocacy event near you. NARAL Pro-Choice America and Planned Parenthood Action Fund
• Share your abortion story. Shout Your Abortion
For More Information:
• Read and share the Pro Choice Resource Masterpost, How to Show Up For Abortion Access, and Abortion.Cafe
• Follow experts on social media like Dr. Jamila Perritt, President/CEO of Physicians for Reproductive Health, Gretchen Sisson, PhD, a Sociologist at Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health (ANSIRH), based at the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), and Dr. Sophia Yen, CEO and Founder of Pandia Health, the only doctor-led, women-founded, and women-led birth control delivery company
Call our senators to see if you can get the staff on record as supporting the filibuster carve-out Biden announced today. Talking Points Memo (among others) is tracking the responses.
FAX: in case no luck with phone 202-228-3954
For those of you who do not want to join the other protests (Oakland protest is 5:00 at Frank Ogawa Plaza), some of us are gathering at College and Ashby at 5:00 to distribute info about getting involved in elections. Join us if you are free and in the neighborhood.
Lots of juicy stuff to discuss, the CA primary, the fall of Sheriff Ahern, the hearings, and more! Andy will analyze the primary results (from several other states as well) then short presentations on readings will begin with Naomi on important book Politics is for Power by Eitan Hersh — everyone is invited to talk about something they have read recently on politics.
Then we will discuss our action agenda, including canvassing plans. Hopefully the primary and the hearings will have motivated everyone to roll up their sleeves and get moving. Everyone welcome.